As a back end developer (mid weight) at Merchant, you have the exciting opportunity to work on a wide variety of new, innovative development projects for our impressive and expanding list of clients. You’ll be driven by a passion for quality, delivering reliable, well architected solutions meeting deadlines based on estimates that you have helped set yourself. Sat within the studio team and reporting to the CTO, the role gives you the opportunity to work alongside a talented and friendly group of professionals, in a fun, dedicated, and supportive agency environment.
You’ll work closely with our front end developers and designers on projects, working from a statement of work or specification document together with close consultation with their account manager. Taking the beautiful work produced from creative, you’ll integrate this with an elegant back end solution that dependant on the project, either you alone or working within a team of back end developers will architect, develop, and document.
We’ll expect you to learn quickly and take a keen interest in technology and the digital landscape. You’ll work closely with our digital marketing team to ensure the solutions you build are optimised to deliver the outcome our clients expect. You’ll need to solve problems, and crucially work well with others in the studio team, and the wider agency team.
You’ll be adept at using source control, continuous integration, and be familiar with devops skills, able to administer web servers, database servers, and potentially cloud hosting environments. You’ll also need to be carefully organised and efficient, using issue tracking and planning software to help stay on track with projects. You’ll be expected to help deploy your projects and support the deployment of others, including maintenance, bug fixing, and support.
You’ll help to support junior members of the team with their queries, and work on support tickets raised by our clients. You’ll be asked to help estimate and quote for work, and to join calls or meetings where you may have to speak directly to clients - with the support of their Merchant account manager.
As an enthusiastic and passionate developer, we’ll expect you to lend your expertise and knowledge to assist with and answer questions from our Client Services team of account managers. You’ll need to keep a pragmatic grasp of the commercial business perspective and how that relates to the decisions you make when developing a high-quality piece of work.
- Free Microsoft MCP certification exams and support with your training
- The ability to work on green field projects using the latest tech
- Take part in hackathons and attend industry events
- Work alongside talented professionals all producing brilliant work
- Friendly and bright office environment overlooking the water’s edge
- Work for prestigious clients from well known brands, helping to digitally transform them
Key technologies we expect you to know:
- .Net Framework 4.7.2 (mandatory) and previous (desired)
- ASP.NET MVC
- SQL Server
- HTML, XML, JSON
- AJAX approaches
- Unit Testing with at least one of: NUnit, XUnit, MSTest (desired)
- Dependency Injection pattern and IoC containers using at least one of: Autofac, Unity, Ninject (desired)
- Integrating web analytics tools – particularly Google Analytics
- Familiarity with Azure Web Apps or AWS Cloud (desired)
- Web Services, WebApi, WCF (desired)
- Web CMS platforms such as Umbraco, EPiServer and Sitecore (desired)
- CI/CD pipelines using tools such as DevOps, BitBucket, or TeamCity (desired)
- Computing / Engineering Degree (desired)
- 3+ years web software development (mandatory)
- £30k - £35k dependant on experience.